Skip to content

Where to get mental health support

You may be experiencing challenging feelings and worries. You can find support to help you during this difficult time. There are a number of professionals and organisations offering mental health support which you can contact for support as set out below.

Register with a doctor

Healthcare in the UK is provided by the NHS (National Healthcare Service). In the UK you do not have to pay to see a doctor. Your doctor can provide you with support for your emotional and physical health.

One of the ways you can get help is to register with your local doctors’ surgery and make an appointment to see a General Practitioner (GP). You need to find GPs that are near where you are living and can use this website to find one: . Please visit “How to register with a GP surgery” for further information.

The UK Government’s welcome guide for Ukrainian children under 18 also provides information on how to access health services. This guide is tailored to young people moving to England under the Home for Ukraine Scheme, but the information regarding accessing healthcare services is relevant to everyone. If you do not have a sponsor to assist you, you can contact your Local Authority or local refugee support charity to assist you with registering with a GP.


Barnardos offer a free Ukrainian Support Helpline. This service provides therapy with a qualified psychotherapist, advice on a range of issues (housing, accessing key health services, education, employment and more), and practical support (access to digital devices to ensure families stay connected to loved ones)

The freephone number to call is 0800 148 8586. The line is open from Monday to Friday 10.00am to 8.00pm, or Saturday 10.00am to 3.00pm. Alternatively, you can email or fill in this form . All the services include access to interpreters in Ukrainian and Russian.

Refugee Council

The Refugee Council offers a therapy service for Ukrainians. If you are eligible, you can access up to 12 weeks of one-to-one therapeutic counselling sessions. Please visit the Refugee Council’s website here and here.


Childline run a confidential helpline for anyone under 19 in the UK. Calling Childline is free. You can access more information here

Children’s Commissioner

The telephone helpline run by the Children’s Commissioner, which has a free number to call: 0800 528 0731. They can offer support and advice if you feel unsafe or you are worried about your future. Visit the Children’s Commissioner website.

Other sources of support

For information on support services you can access, please visit:

  • Thrive LDN’s guidance here (see “Download the Help with your concerns or worries guide”).
  • Good Thinking’s guidance for young people here.