Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the more common questions that are asked by people accessing our service. We aim to ensure you’ll always understand what services we’re providing, when, and how; if you have further questions you can always contact us.

Who will be working on my case?

The work carried out on your case will be done by pro bono lawyers under the expert supervision of our supervising immigration lawyers. This means that most of the work is carried out by pro bono lawyers, but it will be checked and guided by an experienced immigration lawyer.   

You will be told who will be your main point of contact at the start of your case.

Where will my lawyer be based?

We work with pro bono lawyers in London, Birmingham and Glasgow. Your case will be referred to the Kids in Need of defense UK hub which is closest to you and covers your type of case.

Your pro bono lawyers will work from their own offices. Once your case has been assigned to a pro bono lawyer you will be told their name and the name and location of the law firm they work at.

What if my case is urgent?

If your case is urgent you must explain why on the application form. If we agree that your case is urgent we will see whether any of our pro bono lawyers can take your case quickly. However, it may be that the urgency of your case means that it is unsuitable for our service. If this is the case we will contact you to let you know.

When will I know if you can help me?

You should receive confirmation that we have received your referral within two weeks of completing our online form, and we will call you back to collect more information. Your form will be passed to the relevant Kids in Need of Defense UK hub where your case will be assessed for suitability. You will be contacted by a supervising lawyer at that point and your case will be placed on a waiting list.

Our hubs often have long waiting lists, which means that we may not be able to place you with a pro bono lawyer for several months. If this is the case, the supervising lawyer will let you know.

What does it cost?

The legal advice and representation provided by our pro bono partners is free.

The Home Office charges fees which we cannot cover. This means that you will need to cover the cost of your citizenship application. If you are making an application for leave to remain you may be able to apply for an exemption from the application fee and Immigration Health Surcharge. If we think that you are eligible to do so, we will help you with that application.

Sometimes third parties, such as doctors and previous legal representatives, will charge a fee for copies of your file or records. If we need these documents to help you prepare an application, we will request that they waive their fee but cannot guarantee that they will do so.